2010年3月17日星期三

what does Howard talk about when he talks about S.A.

"South Africa is a screwed-up country." Howard said.

I came to Howard's office for some advice before I take off. Howard is from S.A. and used to be the editor of  Mail& Guardian.

"We're a screwed-up country." He repeated, and continued, "I'm not trying to scare you or stereotype you. That's basically how South Africa is-- volatile and violent. If someone gets you and grabs your things or whatever, just give it to him. Don't try to fight against him. He will shoot you. He will not hit you. He will shoot you. And remember to use condoms when you have sex-- doesn't matter who she is, doesn't matter who he is..."

"And doesn't matter what it is, because I'm going to film the cows."

"Yes, doesn't matter what it is, use a condom. 1 in 5 adults in South Africa is HIV positive. And don't go out alone at night. Always get someone who is familiar with the area you're going. Sorry if you are getting a negative impression of South Africa...."

"No, no. It's helpful. Now my alert light has turned red."

"Well. Amber, keep it in amber. OK, that's the bad side about South Africa. There are also good things. You will meet nice people, and it's beautiful in South Africa, beautiful-- the ports and beaches. Oh, addo national park. I'm sure you will have a good time. Sorry I can only give you very general suggestions."

Howard gave me his hand, so I took it over and held it.

"Take care and come back safe."

没有评论: