2010年5月6日星期四

What a Crack!

It is 2 o'clock in the morning. Mia and Mark are just back from the pubs.
I know this because I am burning midnight oil-- working on my assignment about insurgency. Actually, after reading all the books, articles and documents, what I have learned about good counterinsurgency strategy is-- it all can be summed up in one sentence-- let the invading or occupying armies love the local people, mingle with them and protect them, then you can rule the insurgents out of the region. Well, I think it's too late and my mind is going into disarray. But before it stops functioning, let me go back to Mia and Mark.

I ran into them in the kitchen. Mia was making popcorn, and Mark was penut-buttering toast.
"All you OK?" I asked.
"I'm more than OK." Mark said. His face was bright and his voice was loud. Acohol accelerates the blood flow.
Mia's face was bright red. The dress on one of her shoulders was sliding down. I could see the strap of her black bra. Her jeans were falling below her waist.
"Mia, I can see more of your bottom." I said.
"You mean my ass crack?" She turned around, one hand holding a big bowl of popcorn, one hand going behind her back to pull up her pants.
"Well, yes, sort of."
"Haha..." Mark laughed.
"Oh, no." Mia moaned, "I wish you hadn't see it."
I giggled. "I think the word 'ass crack' is funny, because for me, that crack is more of a ass cleavage."
"No. It's a crack." Mia reiterated.
"You know what," Mark said, "When I was in high school, our psych teacher had a poster which said 'don't get hooked up on crack'. On the poster there was a plumber bending over and we could see his ass crack."
"Don't get hooked up on crack? On ass crack?" I asked.
"Oh, no. Crack also means drug."

Mark's explaination instantly reminded me of the stroy told by an Irish guy. His name is Marcombe. In Irish, crack also means fun. Once Marcombe went to a pub where he was drinking and cracking jokes-- ok, crack can also be used as a verb in the phrase "crack a joke"-- with his friends. Marcombe said "What a crack!" The next thing, he was taken out by the bouncer, who interrogated him and searched him because he thought Marcombe was trying to sell drugs in the pub. Marcombe explained to the English bouncer that when an Irish person said "what a crack" it simply meant "how funny it is".

"Even I know that." Mark said. "What a crack. Oh, those Irish people."

1 条评论:

Luca 说...

嘿郑维,你好吗???我一看你的博客最后一个post背景iTunes放着是Last Goodbye,想了很多回忆。。。所以要发给你信息。
你在过得怎样?我现在到中国了,在南京,本来明天我要去杭州,可是工作原因就不去了。。。等不了去的,看晓洁还有Elena在杭州。你什么时候回来?只要我在中国看你会特好,太理想的!
在说一句,我也从来觉得ass crack那个字挺好玩得,英国人!呵呵
多保重(那部分钱我还要款给你,不好意思!)
龙康